“They said she was the only one then happened to Vicky Phelan”

A man, whose wife died of cervical cancer more than five years ago, told the High Court that CervicalCheck visited her in the hospital and asked her not to make her case public.

CervicalCheck visited her in the hospital and asked her not to go public, “Cathal Curtis told Judge Paul Coffey.

“They said she was the only one, then happened to Vicky Phelan.”

He said if there wasn’t a Vicky Phelan case, the case of his wife Michelle Silke Curtis would have broken the CervicalCheck controversy.

Mr Curtis spoke as he settled the lawsuit his wife brought over the alleged misinterpretation of four of her smears.

Mum of two and nurse, Michelle was 45 years old when she died in 2016, a year after she was diagnosed with stage 4 cervical cancer.

The comparison against the HSE, two laboratories and a family doctor took place without acknowledgment of liability. The terms are confidential.

Curtis family attorney Oonah McCrann SC with Sara Antoniotti BL, hired by attorney Valerie Corcoran, told the High Court that there was a “catalog of tragic mistakes” and that it was a tremendous burden on Ms. Silke Curtis to have her case was not completed before her death.

Her grieving widower, Cathal, told the judge that he was “quite offended” by the defendants’ behavior in the case and said that they had agreed to an agreement, but that “Michelle died”.

He said it took five and a half years for the court to rule on the settlement. He said her life had stalled and her father Bill Silke died 10 weeks after Michelle’s death.

“The shock of the cancer diagnosis broke his heart,” he said.

Regarding the lawsuit his wife initiated, he said, “She said to a family member, ‘It ruined my life. It ruined my husband’s life. “

Mr Curtis, who sat on the witness stand for Court One in the Four Courts, said he was angry that it had taken four years before he was told that a US laboratory had tested some of his wife’s swab tests.

He said he had problems as a single parent for his daughters Annie and Sarah.

“Michelle was a lovely lady and mom who just wanted to be a home mom.

“I hate Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day now.

“I have big problems being a single parent. I love my children, but I have to make every decision as a single mother, ”he said.

Mr. Curtis of Oranmore, Co. Galway had sued HSE, Medlab Pathology Ltd, located in Sandyford Business Park, Dublin; US Laboratory Clinical Pathology Laboratories Inc., with offices in Austin, Texas, and GP Saber Elsafty of Cappagh Road Surgery, Cappagh, Road, Galway.

The case related to four cervical swabs taken between 2010 and 2012 that were alleged to have been misinterpreted and misreported.

In September 2007, Ms. Silke Curtis was said to have had a smear test, but the sample was reported as borderline without her knowledge, with the note that it should be referred.

It was alleged that Dr. Elsafty had failed to inform Ms. Silke Curtis of the result or to advise her and to follow up on the report.

Three years later, in November 2010, Ms. Silke Curtis was given a smear as part of the National Cervical Screening Program and this was sent to the MedLab laboratory for examination.

Atypical squamous cell carcinoma has been reported to be present, with a follow-up smear recommended for six months.

In May 2011, Ms. Silke Curtis had a repeated smear that was reported negative by MedLab, but was advised to do another test in six months due to the previous abnormal result.

In November 2011, she had another repeat smear, which was also reported negative by MedLab, and a repeat smear was recommended for six months.

In their statement of defense in 2019, three years after her death, HSE and Medlab announced that the samples taken in November 2010, May 2011 and November 2011 were being carried out by the American Clinical Pathology Laboratories (CPL) based in. were interpreted and reported to Texas.

All claims were denied by all of the defendants.

In September 2012, Ms. Silke Curtis had another new cervical smear, which was also negative, and she was informed by letter that her next routine smear would be in three to five years. Three years later, in June 2015, she was diagnosed with a cervical tumor.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *