The Winter Driving Safety Alliance reminds motorists in White Rock and South Surrey of the increased road hazards at this time of year and provides tips to help everyone stay safe.
In a press release published on Tuesday (December 14), Allianz – a cross-section of public, private and nonprofit organizations – said that more car trips, more drivers and increasingly bad weather all add up to the need for more caution behind the wheel.
The average number of casualty accidents caused by driving too fast for the conditions more than doubled in BC from fall to early winter, according to accident statistics reported to police from 2015-19, so the release notes.
“Most crashes are preventable if we prepare for the conditions and plan ahead,” said Louise Yako, spokeswoman for Allianz’s annual “Shift into Winter” campaign.
White Rock is known for the many steep hills that lead to its waterfront, and South Surrey has its share too.
“If you slow down to adapt to road conditions, you can save your life, the lives of passengers and the lives of others who use the road, including pedestrians. And that would be the best gift you could give someone. “
To reduce the risk of accidents over the holidays, Allianz offers drivers these additional safety tips:
• Do not ride in poor conditions unless absolutely necessary;
• Before you set off, do some research: check conditions on DriveBC.ca, plan your route, drive in daylight and give yourself extra time to get to your destination;
• Make sure that your vehicle has four matching winter tires;
• Prepare for holiday season driving – check the windscreen washer fluid, carry a fully charged phone, and have a winter emergency kit ready in the vehicle;
• Maintain a safety distance of at least four seconds; and,
• Use extreme caution when approaching road maintenance equipment such as plows and salt trucks.
The 13th annual Shift into Winter campaign is a joint provincial initiative supported by the Winter Driving Safety Alliance and managed by Road Safety at Work.
For more information, visit ShiftIntoWinter.ca
City of White RockDrivingSurrey