There will be more books in the “Millennium” series by the late Stieg Larsson.
It is not known who will take over the “Millennium” season, but Swedish publisher Polaris, which bought the rights, tells VG that it can hopefully be revealed in a week.
– I hope so, but it has yet to be fully agreed. We know who we want, but some things have to be right, says publishing director Jonas Axelsson in Polaris to VG.
He admits that it is not easy to get an author to inherit the legacy of Stieg Larsson’s “Millennium” trilogy and David Lagercrantz, who wrote volumes 4-6 in the series.
– No, I think anyone who is interested in literature understands that it’s really not easy. There are good writers everywhere, but it is a very different situation to live up to such legacy and success. Not only should you have good ideas and an understanding of these fantastic characters, you should also be ready to take on such a task, Axelsson told VG.
The late Stieg Larsson’s series about Listbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist is one of Sweden’s greatest book successes, and it was a lot of fuss when author David Lagercrantz was hired to continue writing on the series.
Lagercrantz for criticism: – It was mainly criticism in Norway
– David Lagercrantz did a fantastic job taking over the helm. We are pleased about the trust and will do our best to continue to manage it – together with the right author and with respect for the original work, says publisher Jonas Axelsson in a press release according to Göteborgs-Posten.
The three new books in the series will be presented shortly.
In 2019, David Lagercrantz told VG that Petter Stordalen and Strawberry Publishing had secured “Millennium” rights, which Strawberry never confirmed:
Check the case here: Millennium author for VG: Petter Stordalen bought the Stieg Larsson rights
Polaris boss Jonas Axelsson told VG that he knew nothing about this case.
– I wasn’t interested in the story there. When I realized that there would be an opportunity to buy these rights before summer, we took the chance. There was a lot of back and forth – and we reached an agreement last week on Friday.
Larsson’s “Millennium” adventure began when Norstedts Verlag put the script on the table in the spring of 2004 – after Piratforlaget had said no. Norstedts immediately signed a contract. Two scripts were finished, a third almost finished. In autumn of the same year they were ready for an extensive market launch.
But then the tragedy happens: on the morning of November 9th, the elevator to Larsson’s workplace Expo is out of order and he takes the stairs. He died of a heart attack at the age of 50.
After a postponement came “Men who hate women” in August 2005, “The girl who played with fire” in 2006 and “The air castle that was blown up” in 2007.
In 2013 it became known that Norstedts would like to continue the book series together with Larsson’s brother and father – with a new author: David Lagercrantz. In 2015 came “What Doesn’t Kill Us”, in 2017 “The Man Who Chased His Own Shadow” – and in 2019 the latest book “She Who Must Die”.
The “Millennium” series has sold over 100 million copies worldwide. The films were also a huge success.
Much of the income went to Expo magazine – as Stieg Larsson had originally planned.